2007-—– Independent Consultant
- Performing inspections of behalf of Shell Qatar of GRP manufacturer.
- Performing inspections of training of bonders in Oman on behalf of BP.
- DNV Certified GRP inspector.
- Freelance Surveyor on behalf of DNV regarding ASTM and ISO GRP standards
- Initiator DNV certification scheme for bonder, spool builder, pipefitter, supervisor and inspector.
- Devise of the DNV competence profiles and examination documents,
- Several video’s Youtube and newsletters about this item,
- All compiled in one Book: “Certification”,
- Acting as examinator on behalf of DNV, > 30 examinations in several countries.
- Testing according standards, devising test and performing tests mostly with third party inspection.
- Type approvals.
- Product development: high pressure pipe
- Assessment studies of GRP failures.
- Design & Technical calculations.
- GRP production optimalisation.
- Participation in the International working groups ISO 14692, Writer “quick guide into the ISO 14692 rev1”
- Education/courses: ISO 14692, Spec reading and writing, Calculations for GRP pipe system etc…
- Technical video’s of tests and research activities.
- >25 years of experience in GRP.
Main customers Aramco Saudi, BP UK, Shell Qatar, DNV, RVTS Saudi, Amiantit Norway and Saudi, Fiberdur Germany, Plasticon NL, FPI The Netherlands, Sitech NL, Eptec Australia, OPS Norway etc..
1995-2006 Engineering & Manufacturing Manager
- The department provides the following services: Installation management, Stress analysis, Design & Technical calculations, Product development, Technical support to Sales, participation in International working groups regarding Standardization, Research & Development and Project management.
- Manager, Materials & Testing, research into Glass-fibres from listed and potential suppliers, Adhesives & Resins; Qualification testing, Fire performance testing such as IMO L3 and Jet fire, etc.
- Member of the ISO 14692 committee.
- Chairman of the Claim committee: research, assessment, investigation and handling of claims.
- Co-ordinator with the UK – Marinetech programme, development of GRE through the major British Universities and Technical Institutions with specific research tasks.
1987-1995 Plastics and Rubber Institute TNO in Delft the Netherlands
Project-leader in the field of R&D composites materials/products.
1985 MSc. in Mathematics/Technical Mechanics, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Technical Publications/Articles >15
Most important ones:
2016 Quick guide into the ISO14692 (2016), J. Steen, Richard Lee
2013 Certification, J. Steen (book)
2011 Life time prediction of GRP piping systems, J. Steen, Richard Lee, Tuev tagung, Germany/MECCE 2012, Bahrain.
2010 Integrity assessment challenges for ageing GRP systems, J. Steen, Richard Lee cs. MECCE 2010 Bahrain.
2006 Quick guide to the ISO14692.
1997 There is no smoke without fire.
1993 Optimization of the vulcanization process of rubber products, Polymer Engineering and Science.